1. On 27 March 2016 the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (“the Authority”) received notification of a proposed transaction pursuant to Article 2 of the Telecommunications Mergers and Acquisitions Regulation1 (“the Regulation”). Under the proposed transaction, Bahrain Telecommunications Company B.S.C. (“Batelco”) acquires, within the meaning of Article 1.2(b) of the Regulation, assets from Durrat Khaleej Al Bahrain BSC (“DKAB”) by way of purchase of assets.
2. The parties to the transaction are involved in the following activities:
- Batelco: telecommunications
- DKAB: tourism, investment and development
3. The parties to the transaction hold the following telecommunications licences:
- Individual Licence for Mobile Telecommunications Licence
- Individual Licence for International Telecommunications Facilities
- Individual License for International Telecommunications Services
- Individual License for National Fixed Services
- Individual License for Very Small Aperture Terminal (VSAT)
- Class License for Value Added Services
- Class License for Internet Services
4. On preliminary examination, the Authority finds that the notified transaction could fall within the scope of the Regulation. However, the final decision on this point is reserved.
5. The Authority invites interested third parties to submit their comments on the proposed transaction to the Authority, along with supporting documentation and/or evidence (if any).
5. Comments should be submitted to the Authority no later than fourteen (14) days from the date of this announcement. Comments may be sent to the Authority with the reference number LAD/0316/068 to the following address:
Telecommunications Regulatory Authority
PO Box 10353
Kingdom of Bahrain
Fax: +973 17532125